Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day 4-December 8, 2008 Statue of Liberty

We picked the coldest day in the century to see the Statue of Liberty. We were unable to buy "Monument Passes" early but we did have ferry passes. After finding out the day before that some monument passes were given on a first come first serve basis we left the apartment early and arrived at Battery Park at about 8:30.

We were able to get the tickets and went to stand in line for the ferry. Did I mention it was freezing? And that we were standing outside in a ferry line for an hour? After going through an intense security check we made it on the ferry. We were all sitting separate because nobody was fighting for the upper (exposed to the weather) deck and there weren't many seats left.

We made the short trip over to Monument Island got of the ferry to stand in yet another outside que line. At this point we had to check the stroller and Hannah was placed in the snugglie. She fell asleep and was quite a sight. She looked like a monster size baby in a little snugglie. Everyone was pointing and smiling at her. I think I will have permanent back and shoulder damage from carrying her... :)


(Cam called this my immigration woman look. I didn't care, let's just say it was cold-and although you can not see the snugglie it is there and Hannah was currently in it)

When we got to the part of the line that finally threaded its way through a building we went through another security check (the tight security has been in place also since September 11th). If I thought the first one was intense I was wrong. They gave all the people waiting a little credit card type thing that had facts about the Statue of Liberty. I thought it was some reading material to pass the time, but apparently it is to test for any dangerous chemicals on your hands.

After we passed that test we went through a metal detector and a "puffer" machine. My darling baby was warm and cozy with hats, gloves, jacket, coat, all of that plus being stuffed in the snugglie. I really thought I could go through the puffer machine just leaving her be, but that was a very silly thought. I had to undress myself to the bare modest level and also wake and undress Hannah to the bare modest level. We were then allowed to proceed to the puffer machine.

I obviously do not know what the real name of this machine is or honestly what its purpose is, but from what I hear it is also to test for chemicals. It puffs a lot of air all around you and I guess if you had chemicals on you they would blow off you and be detected by the machine. All it did to me was blow my shirt up in an immodest way.

After an hour of getting redressed we headed up to the monument. Before September 11, visitors were allowed to climb all the way up to the crown of the Statue of Liberty. Now access is limited, with a monument pass, to the brown base part you can see in the picture. When you climb to the top of the base you can look up and see the double helix two way stair case that leads to the crown. Although, it would have been so neat to climb that high, my snugglie back was happy for the restriction. :)



The base has a very interesting and neat museum in it. Did you know that the copper covering of the Statue is less than the thickness of two pennies? We learned that the Statue really is quite delicate.





There is a small area around the upper part of the base that you can step out of the base to see the NYC skyline. Did I mention it was cold and windy?



We spent a lot of time in the monument and it really was inspiring. It was one of those things that I always wanted to see. I can imagine how the immigrants felt being welcomed by it and feel the hope they had.

No comments:

Post a Comment